Monday, July 20, 2009

Strong babies!

Today was a great day! This morning Jack's chest tube was removed, and he responded great. Then later in the day his x-ray showed no excess air in his lungs and he had his breathing tube removed this evening. He opened his eyes and started to look around a little. We can see his face now! He, like Maggie, is on just normal oxygen through his nose and his breathing is fantastic! While visiting this evening I was able to hold him up in his isolate while the nurse changed his bedding, which was so neat. He also had his umbilical cord feed removed and has a standard PIC line. He is a strong little man, and has quite the grip when he holds onto our fingers. Maggie is continuing to do well, she had her umbilical cord feed removed as well and when we saw her this evening she was awake and looking up at us. I love seeing her little eyes focus in on Brian and I. Both babies are eating great, and fortunately I've been able to give enough of a supply that they have some already in the freezer. The pumping is continuing to go well for me and I'm settling into a routine. It's weird how quickly I feel like my entire body has just changed.

We go home tomorrow. I don't want to leave the babies, but I am very excited to sleep in my own bed and just be home. I planned on going home today, but the doctor gave me the option for another day and I jumped at it. I attempted to stop my pain medicine this morning, which was pretty stupid. I ended up crashing this afternoon and was in pretty bad pain. I'm all better now though.

That's all there is for now. Here are the babies when we visited before bedtime.

Jack


Maggie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading your updates and seeing the pictures! Is that Jack's hair? or is that a hat??

It's amazing how resiliant they are. I think you've got a couple of little fighters on your hands.

Hope you enjoyed your first night back home in your own bed! And, hopefully I get to see you all soon.

My Blog List